Ella, Orion and Bromethalin Toxicity

Being hospitalized isn’t ALL that bad ... because sometimes we get to play in the sunshine!

Recently two pups from different families – Ella (4-month-old Labradoodle) and Orion (1-year-old Akita) – thought it would be a good idea to get into some tasty rat bait.

Although it may be yummy, rat bait can contain a neurotoxin called bromethalin, which can be very dangerous for any animal that ingests it.

All types of rodenticides are potentially toxic to any mammal, not just the species targeted by the rodenticide use.


Luckily both of these fur kids were treated right away; prompt and appropriate treatment is critical. Ella and Orion spent a few days with us in the hospital – having some fun as you can see! – and fortunately were able to go home happy and healthy.

RESOURCES

via the AVMA


Kudos to PVH veterinary team member Kay St. Aubin for the post and for capturing the pawsome photos of Orion & Ella!

At Pilchuck Veterinary Hospital, we have veterinarians and staff available 24 hours a day to help with your animal companion's emergencies. We also consult with and refer to specialty hospitals for advanced care when necessary. If you have any questions as to whether your pet’s issue requires immediate attention, our doctors and highly skilled technicians are always just a phone call away: 360.568.9111 for 24/7 veterinary ER in Snohomish.

Spring Ahead With These Seasonal Safety Tips for Your Pet

This Sunday, March 20, we can officially welcome spring! While almost everyone loves the onset of springtime, the season arrives with its own hazards for pets. With that in mind AND National Poison Prevention Week also beginning on the 20th, we've compiled a listing of spring pet safety tips so you and your animal friends can enjoy the season to its fullest:

Gardening Poisons

In our part of the country, we emergency veterinarians see many pets hospitalized for ingesting slug and snail baits that contain metaldehyde. This particular substance causes seizures if ingested. Prompt treatment is needed to save your pet’s life. Compost also contains mold compounds that lead to seizures. If you do compost, keep the pets away!

Easter Lilies

Those beautiful white trumpets that many people buy this time of year – along with some of their cousins that aren’t necessarily white – can lead to severe kidney failure and death in cats. This is one of those poisons where you don’t want to wait to see how your cat does. Prompt and aggressive treatment is necessary. If you live with cats, keep lilies out of your home!

Via the AAFP

Chocolates

Not all those chocolate Easter eggs and chocolate bunnies will be found by the children! Some will be found by your dog, either in the yard, in the house, and, in some instances, in your car on the way home from the grocery store! Chocolate – especially baker’s chocolate and dark chocolate – is toxic to pets no matter what the season.

Daffodils, Jonquils, Narcissus

Most of us are excited to see these bloom this time of the year. Most animals will not readily eat these leaves, which can look like thick blades of grass. However, some dogs and cats will attempt to play with them, and we know that cats and dogs sometimes chew on things they play with. These plants contain calcium oxalate crystals, which can cause severe internal swelling of the throat and, if severe enough, will stop your pet from breathing if the throat swells shut.

The Easter Ham, Turkey, Roast

No matter what you are feasting on, keep it out of reach of your pet! Things can sometimes get a little hectic with family and friends over. If you leave a tempting dish unattended on the counter or table ... or even in an easily accessed garbage can, chances are it will be devoured by your furry friend. Dramatic changes in diet such as gorging on the Easter ham can cause gastrointestinal upset and pancreatitis. Also: Watch out for any bones!


By Joe Musielak, DVM, PVH Small-Animal Emergency Department

Related Resources